Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gestational Diabetes - Prenatal Yoga - Walking

Did I mention that I tested positive for Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks?

Hoo Boy! I had earlier in my pregnancy went to the diabetes nutritionist, so I had an idea about the small meals all days long, count the carbs, etc.

But, now it was serious! No way did I want the doc to have an excuse to do a C-Section.

My fingers sure did get sore for those last weeks in pregnancy. I tested when I got up.

  • I tested after breakfast.
  • I tested after snack.
  • I tested after lunch.
  • I tested after snack.
  • I tested after dinner/supper.
and yes,
  • I tested after my last snack.

I did really well actually, in writing everything (yes, everything) down that I ate, the carb count etc. Whenever my blood sugars got above 160, I had to go and walk for 20 minutes, retest, and if they didn't go down, call the doctor. My blood sugars always went down.

Well, let me tell you, that 20 minutes of being either outside walking around in my backyard/neighboorhood or on the treadmill really did the trick.

I taught yoga4 times a week by then, too, and I'd go in on my days that I didn't teach, and get on the recumbent bike, and then go the mats, and do more yoga stretching. I really felt strong and in control of what was going on.

Doctor said, he wished his younger patients, would get serious and take care of their health like I did at the "Advance Maternal Age" of 46!

Course he said that I had 1/3 chance of getting diabetes later in life, since I had it while pregnant, so I needed to be retested within 6 weeks, and then on a regular basis after that.

So, little Grace turned out to be the smallest baby, that I had ever had. Only 8 lbs 4 ozs. After I got to 10 cm, she was the quickest to come out.....4 pushes! The birth ball, the breathing, the redirection of sense through Yoga and Bradley Childbirth techniques really works.....even though I had to be induced....no pain meds....quick recovery too....

gaileee

p.s. Be sure to ask your doc/midwife for a referral to a diabetes nutritionist. Often a hospital around you will have one, and even if you have to pay for this yourself, it is information worth having!

No comments: